« September 2010 | Main | November 2010 »

October 31, 2010

happy halloween!

Audrey had been talking about being Wonder Woman for weeks and luckily her costume from last year still fit, but decided two days ago she wanted to be a kitty. So, instead of having the same costume as last year, she had pretty much the same costume as two years ago. The costume we got for Charlie was too uncomfortable, so I fashioned him a gnome outfit out of his own clothes, felt and the hat that came with the original.

Todd took Charlie out to just a few houses, while I took Audrey to trick or treat with neighbor Colin and his friend Emma. Audrey went to many more houses than last year, but still pooped out much quicker than her friends.

Charlie helped Todd pass out candy. The entire time, he held on to a sucker for himself and one for Audrey, which they both enjoyed when we returned home.

Posted by jill at 10:25 PM | Comments (0)

October 30, 2010

trains on tv

Charlie loves our train set and got to see Thomas on tv for the first time today.
He was elated.

Posted by jill at 08:06 PM | Comments (0)

October 29, 2010

twenty-one months

Our Charlie is always on the go. The picture below is pretty much what I see of him any time we leave the house. All he wants to do is run. Away from me. Luckily, he mostly sticks to the sidewalk.

We are excited that Charlie finally is able to say a version of his own and Audrey's names. His Charlie sounds like he is saying "Char char" and Audrey is "Awa" but we can totally tell who he is talking about. He also has started to string two words together.

On Mondays during Audrey's dance class at the park district, I have been dropping Charlie off at the child care. He loves it and now wants to go there every time we drop off and pick up Audrey from preschool. He is always happy to see me when I pick him up, so that makes me feel good!

Posted by jill at 10:42 PM | Comments (0)

October 28, 2010

the gnome that was not meant to be

What could have been the cutest Halloween costume for Charlie will not see the light of day. I have been trying to get him excited about this costume for weeks. He has been pointing to it and saying gnome. The few times I have convinced him to put the hat on I have cheered and clapped until he joined in.

But this is just not going to work.

Posted by jill at 11:49 PM | Comments (0)

October 25, 2010

fancy tutus

Today the girls got to veer from their usual ballet uniform.

Posted by jill at 10:00 PM | Comments (0)

October 24, 2010

haircut

Charlie has been so good for the haircuts we have given him at home, we thought he wouldn't have any trouble getting his hair cut at a shop if he was sitting in a race car, watching tv. Boy, were we wrong.

The balloon and slide helped tremendously in calming him down.

Cute with his new haircut, but I think we do just as good a job.

Posted by jill at 08:09 PM | Comments (0)

October 23, 2010

purrfect pumpkin carving

The plan

First cut

Scooping guts

Peeking in

Grossed out by the smell

Executing the design

Final product!

Posted by jill at 08:58 PM | Comments (0)

October 22, 2010

baby dear

Charlie has taken a strong liking to Audrey's baby doll, Ruby. It is very sweet how he carries her around and even wants it in his crib sometimes when he sleeps.

Posted by jill at 09:07 PM | Comments (0)

October 20, 2010

ripe

It actually happened. The tomato Audrey planted finally ripened to red!

I was hoping Audrey would eat her tomato, but she put it in the corner of her slide platform with some grass and called it her pantry. Then she stepped on it and smooshed it. Maybe next year.

Posted by jill at 09:55 PM | Comments (0)

October 18, 2010

little ballerinas

Audrey is several weeks into her second ballet class and today was another observation day.

Posted by jill at 09:35 PM | Comments (0)

October 17, 2010

farming pumpkins

Today was our annual trip to Kuiper's Farm with Nana and Papa.

Charlie could not believe the awesomeness of the toy train traveling around near the ceiling of the store.

Donuts!

We couldn't find it last year, so this was Charlie's first year to see how tall this fall.

Almost to the pumpkins!

Charlie tried so hard to pick up this pumpkin, poor little guy.

Washing and carting our our pumpkin selections of the day.

Posted by jill at 09:14 PM | Comments (0)

October 16, 2010

in the trees

Charlie recently learned the sign for walk. Even though he can say the word, he loves to do the sign as a very exaggerated motion that looks more like swimming. When he suggested this morning we go for a walk, it was so beautiful out we were all for it.

Posted by jill at 08:59 PM | Comments (0)

October 14, 2010

slurp

Spaghetti night!

Posted by jill at 09:52 PM | Comments (0)

October 10, 2010

fall ahead

This morning, we broke out our Halloween stash and let Audrey and Charlie decorate the windows.

Audrey and her neighborhood friends Divya and Colin spent most of the afternoon collecting this pile of leaves and just a few minutes jumping in it.

Dave next door, aka Popsicleman, provided the popsicles. I think this was Charlie's first and most of it ended up on the sidewalk.

Posted by jill at 09:09 PM | Comments (0)

October 09, 2010

more to crow about

Today Audrey and I headed to Scarecrow Fest to have my annual meet up with college friends Sarah, Priscilla and Rebecca and her two children. Charlie stayed home with Todd as to not disrupt his nap schedule. Audrey is no stranger to Scarecrow Fest. Two years ago she had a full weekend of it.

It was pretty crowded so we didn't get to see many actual scarecrows, but I think Audrey makes a good one.

I tried to convince her to get the skull and crossbones. She opted for the pastel sparkly butterfly.

We have a winner! Sarah's dog Simon won his dog race!

Priscilla is such a trouper. Not feeling well and still hanging with Audrey, Dylan and Hadley.

Finally Audrey gets brave enough to pet Simon. She now considers him one of her friends.

Posted by jill at 09:34 PM | Comments (0)

October 08, 2010

do the backpack

Todd and Audrey have a dance they do together called the jumping backpack. Charlie was working on his own version tonight. I guess it would be called the sitting backpack.

Posted by jill at 08:55 PM | Comments (0)

October 05, 2010

noodles

High five for eating out on a weeknight!

Waiting patiently for her beloved mac and cheese.

Posted by jill at 08:52 PM | Comments (0)

October 04, 2010

tomato

Back when Audrey planted her tomato seeds, we never thought we would actually see any tomatoes. After watering the plant almost ever day all summer, there are three little green tomatoes! I'm guessing this is as good as it is going to get.

Posted by jill at 09:50 PM | Comments (0)

October 03, 2010

nice save

This afternoon, Audrey was walking through the hallway, tripped and fell. When I asked her if she was ok she told me she was resting, as if she did it on purpose.

Posted by jill at 09:48 PM | Comments (0)

October 02, 2010

jenga

Today Audrey took interest in the Jenga game that has always been in the cabinet and asked to play. After dinner Todd set it up and taught her how. She caught on quickly and did really well!

Posted by jill at 09:46 PM | Comments (0)